CM Point Categories for CMLSO
- Laser Safety Experience — maximum of 3 CM points1. Earn 1 CM point per year for either the full or part time professional practice of laser safety to be certified in writing by CMLSO's supervisor.
- Attendance2 and successful completion of laser safety specific education and training — maximum of 7 CM points.
< 2 hours = ¼ CM point
2 hours to 4 hours = ½ CM point
4 hours to 6 hours = ¾ CM point
> 6 hours to 1 day = 1 CM point
- Writing of laser safety articles published external of your organization in the form of peer review journals, proceedings, periodicals, books and book chapters, 1 CM point per article. Published magazine or newsletter submissions (print or online) will be accepted at ½ CM point per article — maximum of 3 CM points.
- Teaching laser safety courses or laser safety in a course external from your organization, i.e., not part of your primary job responsibilities — maximum of 3 CM points. See point breakdown for education and training (category #2).
- Membership in laser safety-related professional/technical organizations or societies, e.g., AORN, ASLMS, LIA, or AIHA, 1 CM point given per year of membership — maximum of 3 CM points.
- Active participation in laser safety standards or regulations committees external of your organization, e.g., earn 1 CM point per year for active participation in ANSI ASC Z136 Standards Subcommittee 3 for Safe Use of Lasers in Health Care — maximum of 3 CM points.
- Attendance at laser safety or applications professional conferences or meetings, e.g., earn 1 CM point for each day of attendance at ILSC or AORN Congress3 — maximum of 4 CM points.
- Presentations or poster papers at laser safety professional conferences or meetings, e.g., ILSC, AORN Congress, or ASLMS annual conference, ½ CM point given per presentation — maximum of 2 CM points.
- Writing CMLSO Exam questions — ¼ point awarded for each accepted question — maximum of 2 CM points.
- Other activities as detailed in CMLSO Certification Maintenance Manual.
1 For each category, maximum number of points is per the 3-year period.
2 Attendance means online, electronic or in person.
3 Download and use the CM Point Request and/or Conference Verification forms as necessary.