*For continuing education, teaching and conference categories, the CM point breakdown is as follows:
< 2 hours = ¼ CM point
2 hours to 4 hours = ½ CM point
4 hours to 6 hours = ¾ CM point
> 6 hours to 1 day = 1 CM point
- Laser Safety Experience, i.e., your job – category maximum1 of 3 CM points total. One CM point per year for professional practice of laser safety to be certified in writing by CLSO’s supervisor. Refer to page 2 of the CLSO Policies & Procedures Manual for specific responsibilities of an LSO.
- Attendance2 and successful completion of laser safety specific education and training — maximum of 7 CM points (see Point Breakdown above).
- Writing laser safety or laser application related articles published external of your organization in the form of peer- review journals, proceedings, periodicals, books and book chapters, 1 CM point per article. Published magazine or newsletter submissions (print or online) will be accepted at ½ CM point per article – category maximum of 3 CM points total.
- Membership in laser safety-related professional/technical organizations or societies, e.g., LIA, AIHA or HPS – category maximum of 3 CM points total, 1 CM point given per year of membership.
- Teaching laser safety courses or laser safety in a course external from your organization, i.e., not part of your primary job responsibilities – category maximum of 3 CM points total (see Point Breakdown above).
- Active participation in laser safety standards or regulations committees external of your organization, i.e., at the regional, state, national or international level – category maximum of 3 CM points total. For example, a CLSO could earn 1 CM point per year for being an active member of ANSI ASC Z136 or one of its subcommittees.
- Attendance at laser safety or applications professional conferences or meetings. If you attend a conference hosted by anyone other than the LIA, please bring a Conference Verification Form3 with you to the event and complete the form, as well as provide a schedule of the conference – category maximum of 4 CM points total. For example, a CLSO could earn 1 CM point for each day of attendance at the International Laser Safety Conference (ILSC®) (see Point Breakdown above).
- Presentations or poster papers at laser safety professional conferences or meetings, e.g., ILSC, AIHce, or LSO Workshop – category maximum of 2 CM points total,½ CM point given per presentation.
- Writing CLSO exam questions – category maximum of 2 CM points total, ¼ CM point awarded for each accepted question.
- Other Activities – Points may be claimed for laser-related activities such as professional certifications (e.g., CIH = ½ CM point), or reviewing laser safety or laser application related journal articles. Please complete the Journal Article Verification Worksheet4. Article titles and access information will be delivered via the BLS News & Review e-newsletter and/or the BLS website – category maximum of 2 CM points total.
1 For each category, maximum number of points is per the 3-year period.
2 Attendance means online, electronic or in person.
3 The Conference Verification Form may be downloaded from the “Forms” tab on the BLS website.
4 The Journal Article Verification Worksheet may be downloaded from the “Forms” tab on the BLS website.