* For continuing education, teaching and conference categories, the CM point breakdown is as follows:
< 2 hours = ¼ CM point
2 hours to 4 hours = ½ CM point
4 hours to 6 hours = ¾ CM point
> 6 hours to 1 day = 1 CM point
- Laser Safety Experience, i.e., your job – category maximum of 3 CM points total1. One (1) CM point per year for professional practice of laser safety to be certified in writing by CMLSO’s supervisor. Refer to page 2 of the CMLSO Policies & Procedures Manual for specific responsibilities of an LSO.
- Attendance2 and successful completion of laser safety specific education and training – category maximum of 7 CM points total (see Point Breakdown above).
- Writing laser safety or laser application related articles published external of your organization in the form of peer-review journals, proceedings, periodicals, books and book chapters, 1 CM point per article. Published magazine or newsletter submissions (print or online) will be accepted at ½ CM point per article – category maximum of 3 CM points total.
- Membership in laser safety-related professional/technical organizations or societies, e.g., AORN, ASLMS, LIA, AIHA – category maximum of 3 CM points total, 1 CM point given per year of membership.
- Teaching laser safety courses or laser safety in a course external from your organization, i.e., not part of your primary job responsibilities – category maximum of 3 CM points total (see Point Breakdown above).
- Active participation in laser safety standards or regulations committees external of your organization, i.e., at the regional, state, national or international level – category maximum of 3 CM points total. For example, a CMLSO could earn 1 CM point per year for being an active member of ANSI ASC Z136 or one of its subcommittees.
- Attendance at laser safety or applications professional conferences or meetings. If you attend a conference hosted by anyone other than the LIA, please bring a Conference Verification Form3 with you to the event and complete the form, as well as provide a schedule of the conference – category maximum of 4 CM points total. For example, a CMLSO could earn 1 CM point for each day of attendance at the International Laser Safety Conference (ILSC®) (see Point Breakdown above).
- Presentations or poster papers at laser safety professional conferences or meetings, e.g., ILSC, ASLMS annual conference or the LSO Workshop – category maximum of 2 CM points total,½ CM point given per presentation.
- Writing CMLSO exam questions – category maximum of 2 CM points total, ¼ CM point awarded for each accepted question.
- Other Activities – Points may be claimed for laser-related activities such as professional certifications (e.g., CNOR = ½ CM point), or reviewing medical journal articles related to laser safety or laser applications. Please complete the Journal Article Verification Worksheet4 and submit it along with your CM worksheet. Article titles and access information will be delivered via the BLS News & Review e-newsletter and/or the BLS website – category maximum of 2 CM points total.
1 For each category, maximum number of points is per the 3-year period.
2 Attendance means online, electronic or in person.
3 The Conference Verification Form may be downloaded from the “Forms” tab on the BLS website.
4 The Journal Article Verification Worksheet may be downloaded from the “Forms” tab on the BLS website.