The CLSO and CMLSO exams are primarily based upon the ANSI Z136 Series of Laser Safety Standards. The parent document, ANSI Z136.1-2014 Safe Use of Lasers is the primary source of information for the CLSO exam. The primary source of information for the CMLSO exam is the ANSI Z136.3-2011 Safe Use of Lasers in Health Care standard.
Laser Institute of America is the publisher of the ANSI standards; these standards can be purchased from the LIA bookstore.
Web Pages and Free Online Tutorials
- Food and Drug Administration: 21 CFR 1040.10. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/cfrsearch.cfm
- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis: Online Laser Safety Training (guest registration required) https://protect.iu.edu/environmental-health/laboratory-safety/laser-safety.html
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration: Safety and Health Topics, Laser Hazards http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/laserhazards/
- Princeton University: Laser Safety Training Guide https://ehs.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/files/media_files/Laser%20Training%20Guide%202007%2013-08.pdf
- Sam’s Laser FAQ: Laser Safety http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasersaf.htm#saftoc
- Sam’s Laser FAQ: What is a Laser and How Does It Work? http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserfaq.htm#faqwil
- The Physics Classroom: Anatomy of the Eye http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/refrn/U14L6a.html
- The Physics Classroom: Specular vs. Diffuse Reflection http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/refln/U13L1d.html
- University of California, Berkeley: Laser Safety Training Supplement http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~phylabs/adv/LaserSafeTrainSup04.pdf
- University of North Carolina: Laser Safety Training http://ehs.unc.edu/training/self-study/laser-safety-training/
- U.S. Army CHPPM: Lasers and Their Effects on the Human Eye https://de356l4tocdyu.cloudfront.net/pdf/OSHAEyeFactSheet.pdf
Be sure to download your exam reference guide for additional exam information:
Certified LSO Exam Reference Guide (with equations) This has not yet been updated to reflect the 2017 exam revision; it is now recommended that CLSO examinees study the ANSI Z136.1 – 2014.
Certified Medical LSO Exam Reference Guide This has not yet been updated to reflect the 2014 exam revision; it is now recommended that CMLSO examinees study the ANSI Z136.3 – 2011.