Certification Maintenance (Renewal)
After an individual has passed the certification examination, he/she will be required to maintain that certification through approved professional development activities over the 3-year certification period. As the industry changes and technology grows, so too must the knowledge of the CLSO and CMLSO. The BLS only recognizes BLS Certification Maintenance (CM) points and may award these points for eligible laser-related activities.
How to Renew
For a Quick Guide on Certification Maintenance, please watch the video below:
By CM Points
- Earn 10 BLS CM Points during your 3-year certification cycle.
- Document your CM points on the CM worksheet and submit to BLS by the deadline. Include supporting documentation as evidence of points earned.
- Once your points are approved, you will be sent the renewal invoice of $150. This must be paid no later than January 31 following the close of your certification cycle, or else you will be charged a $50 late fee. If all fees are not paid by May 31 following the close of your cycle, your certification ends.
Apply for an Extension Year
The extension year allows CLSO/CMLSOs one (1) additional year to earn CM points. The point maximums for each category will remain the same. Only new points in categories not fulfilled will be applied towards the 10 CM points needed. If a CLSO/CMLSO meets the requirements to maintain their certification, their new cycle will begin January 1st following the extension year. The following limitations apply:
- The request and payment for both the renewal fee and extension year fee must be submitted no later than December 31st of the original 3-year cycle, i.e., the original certification expiration date
- An extension year may only be requested once every other certification cycle.
- A CLSO/CMLSO can only renew by CM points in their extension year
- There is no “grace period” allotted to the fourth year.
The request and payment for both the renewal fee and extension year fee must be submitted no later than December 31st of the original 3-year cycle, i.e., the original certification expiration date An extension year may only be requested once every other certification cycle A CLSO/CMLSO can only renew by CM points in their extension year There is no “grace period” allotted to the fourth year. The CM worksheet and any other supplemental documentation must be completed and submitted by December 31st of the extension year. If there are any questions concerning the CM form, the BLS will contact the CLSO/CMLSO for clarification. The CLSO/CMLSO will not have the usual sixty (60) days to resolve the situation. If the situation is not resolved by December 31st of the extension year, the CLSO/CMLSO will go to Inactive Status.
To illustrate the new policy, we can consider this example. Mr. Laser is a CLSO and his certification cycle ends December 31 of this year. He realizes he does not have the required 10 CM points and due to a number of factors cannot earn the points by the end of his cycle. He chooses to apply for an Extension Year and submits his application prior to December 31. Since he did not use an extension year during his previous cycle, he is eligible for one in his current cycle, so he is approved. When he receives notification from BLS that he is approved for an Extension Year, he may begin earning CM points to reach the 10 CM points required for renewal. Mr. Laser already earned the maximum number of points for his job (3 CM) and for attending conferences (4 CM), so he must earn 3 CM points in the remaining categories. He chooses to apply for a one-year membership at a BLS-approved organization for 1 CM point and then chooses to read laser-related journal articles for 2 CM points. At the end of the Extension Year, Mr. Laser has the 10 CM points needed for renewal and submits his CM worksheet and documentation to BLS by the December 31 deadline. He will not be eligible to apply for another Extension year during the following certification cycle, as the Extension Year may only be used every other cycle. His next cycle will be a three-year cycle.
Don't have enough CM Points to renew? Consider taking the exam-in-lieu-of-points.
- The exam must be taken before the December 31 deadline.
- You have one opportunity to pass. If you pass, your certification is renewed for another 3-year cycle. If you fail, your certification becomes inactive. Please note that the retake policy does not apply to taking the exam-in-lieu-of-points.
- The application fee is waived and the cost to take the exam for renewal is the same as your renewal dues: $150.
If you are unable to renew by the given deadlines and your certification becomes inactive, you must reapply as a new exam candidate with new application materials and new fees to become certified again. Candidates becoming certified after becoming inactive will be given a new 'start' date and a new certification number. If your certification becomes inactive, you may no longer use the designation of CLSO/CMLSO.
Achieving the designation of Certified Laser Safety Officer (CLSO) or Certified Medical Laser Safety Officer (CLMSO) is an accomplishment to be proud of. It took a lot of hard work, determination and dedication to obtain your designation. Don't let your certification status lapse - Renew today!
Questions? Contact us at 407.985.3810 or email@example.com